Sunday, June 3, 2012

Summer Salads: Watermelon and Tomato


In an effort to eat more fruits and veggies, I've decided to start eating more salads. But instead of my usual romaine with grape tomatoes, which gets old quickly, I decided I needed to expand my salad horizons. Enter 101 Simple Salads for the Season, a New York Times article by Mark Bittman. This is exactly what I was looking for; a bunch of different ideas for getting more produce into my diet in a very delicious way.

So today I tried No. 1 and it was (to quote the lovely Giuliana Rancic) amazeballs:

"Cube watermelon and combine with tomato chunks, basil and basic vinaigrette. You can substitute peach for the watermelon or the tomato (but not both, O.K.?). You can also add bacon or feta, but there goes the vegan-ness."

I used watermelon and tomatoes, fresh basil, store-bought balsamic vinaigrette, and freshly ground salt and pepper. I wasn't sure how the watermelon would taste with everything, but I assure you, it was delicious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just discovered watermelon in salads myself. Delicious! Thank you for the recipe.

Kiley said...

Anonymous, watermelon has become my fav salad ingredient this summer. So unexpectedly delicious. Glad you liked it!